The Club Championships are the third oldest honour board event at the Club and were first played in 1898. There are numerous multiple time winners with A.H College the most successful winning the event 15 times from 22 attempts from 1938 to 1960.
The format has always involved a 36 hole qualifying followed by matchplay.
A Club Champion is determine across Open, Junior, Senior and All Grades as well as Veterans.
The Senior Club Championship was first played in 1999 and the Junior Club Championship was first played in 1964.
This is the oldest Honour Board event, even predating the Club Championship by a few months, and ranks among the oldest competitions in Australian golf, and the history of golf worldwide. It has been competed for each year since inception, except for the years 1942 to 1944 during World War Two.
Although it is often referred to as The Blackheath Medal due to its origins, its correct title is The Midwinter Medal in accordance with the wish of the donor, Alfred Schacht, of the Royal Blackheath Golf Club in London. The medal was a gift from a member of the oldest golf club in England to the first golf club in Brisbane. It was originally named the Gold Medal of the “Knuckle Club” and commenced in 1972 at Blackheath. Renamed the Spring Medal in 1843 our Medal is a replica of this Spring Medal.
It has always been a 36 hole scratch strokeplay event.
The trophy donor is presented by Life Member, Mr B.S. Richter.
This is the second oldest Honour Board event. There are two Lamington Cups, the first played for from 1898 to 1908 and the second from 1910 to the present day.
Lord Lamington served as Governor of Queensland from April 1896 to December 1901 and was the inaugural president of The Brisbane Golf Club.
Appropriately, the first final of the Lamington Cup was won by Lord Lamington and Gilbert Wilson.
Always a foursome Matchplay event.
This is another Cup presented by the then President, E. H. Macartney. It was for competition among amateurs and professionals with conditions similar to the Rose Bay Cup at the Royal Sydney Golf Club.
The Yeerongpilly Cup at its peak was a lead-in event for professionals to play in prior to the Queensland Open.
After going into a recess during World War Two, it returned with poor fields as there seemed to be a lack of interest in the 36 hole one-day event. It was reduced to an 18-hole event in 1958, however, despite a peak of 132 players in 1961 and prize money at times being as high as $1,000 at its glory, its days were numbered.
In 1978 the Yeerongpilly Cup became an open event for amateurs only. In 1999 it became a gross event.
The first prize in 1927 was 10 pounds.
This trophy was donated by the then President, Dr E.D. Ahern, in February 1930.
Ahern, who joined the Club in July 1919, was appointed President in July 1929 following the resignation of E.H. Macartney to take up the post of Agent-General in London.
The Tennyson Cup is played as a handicapped single stroke 18-hole qualifying event for matchplay, with 16 qualifiers given the opportunity to play off for the trophy.
Originally it was an 18 hole nett qualifier (maximum of 18 handicap) with the best 4 players progressing and expanded to 8 in 1932. In 1961 it changed to 16 players.
This event commenced when its donor, Sir Leslie Wilson, who was the Club Patron and Governor of Queensland, donated a silver cup for competition among members.
Sir Leslie Wilson was a keen golfer and a regular player at Yeerongpilly. His interest and patronage extended widely and there are similar Honour Board events at Royal Queensland and Indooroopilly Golf Club.
The M.T. Stafford Trophy was established as an annual event to acknowledge the services of Michael Thomas Stafford who served as the Club’s Professional for almost 50 years from 1921.
It was played as an 18-hole single stroke event for the first four years. Since 1966, the format has been an 18-hole fourball best ball versus par qualifying round with eight pairs to qualify for 18-hole match play.
When the Club built a new Professional’s shop in 1964 to replaced the old one dating back to 1919, there was universal agreement when, on opening day 22 February 1964, it was named the M.T. Stafford Building.
Stafford once had a round of 65 at Yeerongpilly which included five scores of 2 on his card with birdies made at three of the par 3s and eagles at two of the par 4s. It was considered a possible world record number of 2s in one round at the time.
H.W. Herbert was a member of The Brisbane Golf Club for 51 years. He served a total of 11 years on the Committee including terms as Honorary Treasurer and President. In 1959 he was elected as an Honorary Life Member.
In 1967 he proposed a perpetual trophy for the most improved golfer each year. Perhaps realising the difficulty of such a decision each year the committee persuaded him to allot his trophy to the leading junior qualifier in the Club Championship.
This competition began when George Houlton Mocatta’s widow provided $600 for a permanent trophy fund in his memory.
The Committee at the time decided the format would be an 18-hole fourball best ball Stableford qualifying round with 64 pairs to qualify for 18-hole match play. It was said this would spread the competition over most of the golfing season and give a large number of members the opportunity to play off for an Honour Board event.
In 1985 it was reduced to 32 pairs to qualify but in 1993 the format returned to the original concept of 64 pairs.
This competition had its beginnings in 1973 as the A.H. Colledge Medal to honour the achievements of a fine gentlemen and one of the Club’s and Queensland’s outstanding golfers, Alex Herd Colledge.
In 1978 his widow Frances provided $600 for a permanent trophy fund.
Colledge joined The Brisbane Golf Club in 1936 and retained a scratch handicap for 20 years. He won the Club Championships 15 times between 1938 to 1960; the Queensland Amateur Championships three times; the Queensland Foursome Championship three times, the Queensland Mixed Foursome Championship three times and the Queensland Close Champion on one occasion.
The A.H. Colledge Trophy is awarded to the player with the best nett 36 holes in the qualifying rounds of the Club Championship across all grades with a handicap limit of 24.
This event is a gross event over 36 holes and played in conjunction with the Boyce Trophy for best nett. The best nett introduced to encourage participation across all grades.
It was won by A.H. College on 8 occasions, twice with Geoff Brown and six time with Bill Wishart.
Declining interest forced a trail change from 36 holes on one day to 27 holes as well as moving from Sunday to the more popular Saturday. The event returned to 36 holes in 2014.
This competition began when Rodney and Patrick Boyce offered an annual trophy to commemorate the contribution of the Boyce family to the Club, and the Committee agreed that it should be an Honour Board event.
Frank Boyce did not take up golf until 42 years of age, but he became a scratch golfer within a year. He won the Club Championship four times, The Midwinter Medal three times, the Lamington Cup twice and the President’s and Peace Cups once each. He was famous for playing every golf hole that existed in Brisbane in one day. In total he played 108 holes and scored an overage of 82 per 18 holes in an average time of 1 hour 25 minutes.
Frank’s son, Clive Boyce, was admitted to membership of the Club in 1914 even though he wasn’t 16 years old until the following year. He, too, was a gifted golfer and won the Club Championships four times, The Midwinter Medal back-to-back in 1915 and 1916, the President’s Cup twice and the Lamington Cup on one occasion. He shot the course record of 75 at just 16 years of age and at 18 years of age lowered it to 73.
For the first two years this event was played as an 18-hole fourball best ball handicap stroke qualifying event with the top eight pairs to play off in matchplay. However, the difficulty in fitting another play off event into an already busy calendar led to the decision in 1986 to change a 36 -hole single stroke handicap competition over successive weekends.
The Mixed Foursomes Fourqueux Championship is a 36 hole gross event. It was first played in 1978.
The Fourquex name was added in 2008 by Don McNee who initiated reciprocity with the French club, The Golf and Country Club de Fourquex, about 20 minutes west of Paris. Trophies were exchanged between the clubs with a request by the French club to associate the trophy with a mixed club event. Initially the Fourqueux Trophy was awarded to the top qualifiers of the well established Brisbane Shield.
The event is also played in conjunction with the Holmes Family Trophy which is awarded to the team with the best nett score.
In event of a tie, the Championship will be decided by sudden death playoff.