For the past five years golf’s governing bodies have been working on a makeover of the Rules of Golf. And here they are. As of 1 January 2019, the results of the first fundamental review in 34 years come into effect. So with the aid of the various resources on this page, we present the information you will need to support your transition to the new Rules.
The simple, bite-sized videos and accompanying explanations are an excellent resource and we encourage all golfers to have a look through them. They’re organised into eight categories and, within each item, you will find the main reasons for each change.
But remember, the new Rules aren’t in place until the new year, but it will pay to become familiar with them in advance.
And if you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Golf Shop.
- 1-minute videos on each major change
- Downloadable flyers/posters
- The R&A’s new Rules app
- R&A PowerPoint on new Rules – for presentation by club officials
- Online versions of the new Rules of Golf and Player’s Edition
- Interpretations on the Rules (note: Interpretations replace the old Decisions)
- Committee Procedures
- Modified Rules of Golf for Players with Disabilities
- Written information on all the changes
For the first time, a new Player’s Edition of the Rules of Golf is being introduced to provide a shorter, more user-friendly version of the Rules for golfers at all levels of the sport. This version, which will serve as the primary publication for all golfers, features:
- A more intuitive organisation with ten simplified topical groupings
- A “Purpose of the Rule” description at the top of each Rule, to better define why the Rule exists
- Easy-to-follow, full-colour diagrams and charts
- A simpler, more direct writing style.
Two million copies of the Player’s Edition will be distributed in the United States and its territories and Mexico by the USGA and a similar number in the rest of the world by The R&A, all with the support of Rolex. The new book will be translated into more than 30 different languages.
Copies of the new Player’s Edition of the Rules of Golf are now available from the Golf Shop.
Please also be advised The Brisbane Golf Club is running a New Rules Information night on Wednesday, 24 October 2018 and you can click here to obtain further information.
Geoff Kuehner, General Manager